Sunday, February 28, 2010

I threw the ball
hit the homer as a kid
got cut from the team
rode the hurricane wave
went to class
cut class
pass failed
cleaned the toilets
shelved the books
pounded nails,
ground and gorilla welded the pipe,
worked in toxic, flammable and carcinogenic
shitholes,
sold popcorn, candy and records
assembled the bikes
and lawnmowers
I taught the kids
ran the nightshift
was a hostler for UP
unloaded the ships
rode the horse
drove the hotshot
painted the house
and the canvas.
I wrote the checks
and these words.
I paid my taxes
and made the payroll.
I drove across the country
From Oklahoma to California
and back to Texas in no time.
I can sometimes tell the lie
knowing from the truth.
I wore the sandal and the boot.
I‘ve been hired and fired
Robbed wrecked and cheated
self employed and food stamped,
been drafted and dodged the bullet.
I’ve been to your shows
big coleseums
museum cathedrals
rock, country, punk, jazz, blues
abstract,real, conceptual, isms
all the same fashion
all the same game.
Been to the wedding
funeral, reunion,
walked your biggest cities
the plowed field, ancient forest
big rivers, salt water, deserts
fed the cow, cat and dog
loved lost and won
been bent spindled and mutilated
cut and bandaged
lost found and saved
slower but wiser
maybe not much.
And it ain’t over yet.
Now,
about yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment